The domed top with stylised tulip and fleur-de-lys studded decoration. The frieze with original coronet lock plate and drop handle. The front with two drawers with later locks and original handles, the right-hand-side with replaced leather. The sides with original carrying handles. Standing on later bun feet. English, circa 1680.
Width : 107.00 cm./42.00 in.
Height : 63.00 cm./24.75 in.
Depth : 59.00 cm./23.25 in.
In the late 17th century travelling trunks were covered with either ox-hide or russia leather and were decorated with heavily-studded intricate designs in brass nails. The lids were curved, and closed by means of a flanged joint to keep out the rain. Richard Pigge, coffer-maker to Charles II, supplied a large number of trunks covered with ‘russia leather’ to various members of the court between 1667 and 1671. He made them in two styles, with and without drawers, the handles and locks being generally described as ‘of ye best’.
The crown and monogram, which are often found on these trunks, does not signify royal ownership since many pieces of furniture used in the palaces or government services were stamped in this manner.
This post was written by joecollinson