The tops with two anthacus leaf “C” scrolls either side of a shell surmounted by a crown. The two splats carved with flowerheads and leaves, and the lower rail with shell and anthacus leaves protruding either side. The replaced drop-in seats re-upholstered by Albert Chapman in Humphries Abberton crimson silk damask, and surrounded by a shaped frieze. The cabriole front legs with their original ears, a “C” scroll at the knee, and ending in pad feet. The front stretcher with crown and anthacus leaf “C” scrolls. The beech carcas with original black paintwork simulating ebony and original gilding with restoration around the seat area. Excellent original colour and patination. English, first quarter of the 18th century.
Soon after 1700 a new and distinctive type of chair was introduced from Holland. They had curved uprights enclosing a wide-shaped splat pierced and carved and legs of cabriole form united by shaped stretchers. These legs were at first narrow at the knee and without the attached brackets which later became usual, while they ended in scrolls or hoof-shaped feet. In their ornate pierced carving, arched crestings and recessed scrolled front stretchers, some of the earliest specimens embody characteristics of walnut chairs in the Marot-style. In another variety a shoulder is formed on the uprights which merge into the crestings and approximate a hoop shape. The splat is reduced in width and in outline now suggests a vase, the lower rail being for the first time connected with the seat framing.
This post was written by joecollinson