A late-19th/early-20th century, hanging metal sign decorated with the arms, crest, supporters and motto of the Alliance Assurance Company LimitedSeptember 18, 2019 2:38 pm
Argent, upon a rock issuant from the base proper, inscribed 1824 in gold numerals, a quadrangular castle also proper, pennons flying to the sinister from each tower gules. Crest : In front of flames proper issuant from a coronet of four roses argent, barbed and seeded proper, set upon a rim Or, two keys in saltire, wards upwards, sable. Supporters: On the dexter side a lion guardant Or, resting the sinister hind leg on an escutcheon argent charged with a rod of Aesculapius gules; and on the sinister side a like lion resting the dexter hind leg on an escutcheon argent charged with an anchor sable. Motto: Multi societate tutiores. Granted 19th October, 1933. This object was most likely manufactured then. 11121625
Width 117 cm., 3ft., 10 in., Height 108 cm., 3ft., 6.50 in.
There is no suggestion that the arms were used unofficially before the formal grant. The text of the patent states that the Company was originally formed in 1824 under the name of The Alliance British & Foreign Life Assurance Company, hence the date that appears in the design of the arms. The date of the Warrant authorizing the Kings of Arms to grant arms to the Company is 19th October 1933, and the then Chairman of the Company was Lionel Nathan de Rothschild, OBE.
This post was written by joecollinson