The rectangular, padded backs, arched at the top and inverted below. Square uprights support the padded, shaped seats. The front legs with square, tapering, cappings, and the back legs straight with a pronounced rake. The legs joined by curved and moulded ‘X’ stretchers. Re-upholstered in a green, silk damask re-drawn from a fragment in the V&A’s collection and commissioned and hand woven for a restoration project at Hampton Court. The sides and base embellished with a festooned, hand-woven, tasselled fringe. The beech frames and ‘X’ stretchers reinforced, and a foot repaired. These chairs were probably originally gilded and painted, the traces of which were removed some time ago as the colour and patina have matured to a good lustre.
Reference : Lots 100 & 101 Christies, London 15-16th October 1981. A set of 10 with a similar style of leg supplied by John Burroughs (jnr) to Stoneleigh Abbey, Warwickshire in 1709. Although the Burroughs chairs give a close dating for this pair of chairs, they are different in several respects and it would not be correct to attribute them to him purely on the strength of the leg design.
DEFM p 133 contains an entry for Burroughs, although it confuses Burroughs senior with junior..
The English ‘cross-frame’ chair, 1694-1715, The Burlington Magazine, June 2000 (Adam Bowett)
Dictionary of English Furniture (Edwards) fig 81, pl XIII
90611287 sold September 2004
This post was written by joecollinson